Partner and Parent

De Facto, Spouse & Financé Visa Applications

White Beach — Immigration in Alice Springs, NT
Partners or fiancés of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens may apply for partner visas. There are 3 main categories of partner visa for which you may apply in order to start your migration journey:

  • people intending to get married (fiancés)
  • married partners
  • de facto partners (including those in a same-sex relationship)

Depending on what visa the applicant holds, they may make an on-shore application. An on-shore application will make the applicant eligible for a bridging visa. This visa usually holds the same conditions as the current visa, i.e. if the holiday visa says 6-month work with any one employer, then you can only work with each employer for 6 months until your new visa has been granted.

However, most on-shore partner visa applicants are eligible for a bridging visa with full work rights because of the long processing times of approx. 12 months.

The fiancé(e) visa MUST be applied for off-shore.

The partner visa application is a 2 step process:

1. at first you apply for a 2-year temporary visa
2. If two years after you apply the relationship is ongoing, a permanent visa may be granted.

The fiancé(e) visa has a 3rd step in the beginning: first, you apply off-shore for the permission to enter as a fiancé(e). Once that visa has been granted the applicant may travel to Australia and the partners must get married within 9 months of the visa grant. Then they can apply for a regular partner visa.

Euro Migration Services is here to help guide you and your loved one through the process of obtaining permanent residency in Australia as the partner of a citizen. If you have any questions at any time during the process of applying for partner visas or another option, please let us know and we will do our best to help you navigate the path ahead.